Sunday, August 1, 2010

Udderly Divine

Okay - I couldn't resist the punny title. If they have their own website, I want to know the address for the Homestead Creamery in Wirtz, Virginia. Apparently they have ice cream too, which makes me jealous of people out in Smith Mountain Lake - something I never thought possible! The milk is heavenly - I always drink skim/nonfat milk - but their nonfat tastes like pure indulgence, better than any whole milk. The cows are grass fed and hormone/antibiotic free, and there is definitely a taste difference. I feel like I've been walking through the dessert my whole life and now I've come into the promised land of milk and honey - and this is the milk. The honey came from one of my coworkers who has her own apiary. I've always loved milk, but now I know why it was part of the promise of the promise land.

Of course, it's not only organic, but it's also local - that's a whole new level of environmentally friendly. They use recycled bottles, and when you return the cleaned bottle, you get $2 back - so even though it's $2.67/half gallon (other milks are $3.5o/gallon or organic for $5.60/gallon), it ends up being much cheaper - only $1.40 for a gallon! Now that's incredible - treat your taste buds, recycle and support organic, sustainable farming, all in one cereal bowl! Yay!! And the butter is soft and perfect too - and my girlfriend is, at this moment, baking it into a cheesecake crust. Mmmmm.... creamy goodness awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment